With ever increasing awareness of Vipassana as means to eradicate suffering and leading a life of peace and harmony, more and more Vipassana Centres are needed. Mumbai is home to more than 20mn people. A need had long been felt to create another hub for transmission of Vipassana, located near Mumbai. Therefore to create a Centre around Mumbai, a trust named as Mumbai Parisar Vipassana Centre (MPVC) was formed in 2002.
29 acres of land was identified on a river bank at about 6 kms from Titwala railway station near Mumbai. Aquiring the land, its tranfer on trust's name took few years. Within those years even a small bridge and connecting road of 1km was built by trust.
Construction of the center began in 2002. The completion of Dhamma Vahini centre will be done in many phases:
Phase 1 (complete): Residential course facilities for 25 to 50 students + Mini Dhamma Hall and other necessary facilities.
- Residential facility for 50 students is Constructed
- One Dhamma Hall with an area of approx 950 sq. ft with a capacity of 50 meditators is constructed. Though according to final plan the final Dhamma hall will be of 150 capacity. Once that is built, this one will be considered as mini dhamma hall
- A temporary Structure for Kitchen and Dining Hall constructed to serve the Ongoing Courses. Water sources, Electric connection and drainage completed.
- Planted 1600 trees towards river bank.
Phase 2: Upgrade the Residential courses facilities up to 100 students + Main Dhamma Hall+ Meditation cells and other facilities.
- Few more rooms for students (to reach 100 no.), proper Kitchen and Dining hall with its store room will be the priority
- Dining hall will be combined with 2 small course offices in it, each for male/female students
- Kitchen area will be approx 2500 sq. ft. And Dining hall will be approx 2000 sq. ft
- The next will be Paid Server quarters. The quarters will have facilities to cook as well as bath etc. Those should accommodate at least 12 people
Phase 3: To reach 150 capacity in every way.
- Main Dhamma hall and meditation Cells will be of 150 capacity. Dhamma Hall will be 3400 sq. ft in size. Total cell area will be 7500 sq. ft for 150 persons.
- Rooms for Dhamma servers are also on plan. Total 5000 sq. ft construction will be done for them
- The main office block needed for good hospitality and smooth operation of the centre. Its area will be 2500 sq. ft which includes medical room, shopping section and small store room.
These plans are done keeping in mind that we have plenty of open space there. No cut-off time period has been decided. Whenever we will have sufficient donation, plans will be materialized.
Total Cost for final center will be 4.7 crore The First phase is already completed. More 4 crore will be needed to reach its final stage!
In the year 2009, first residential course was held at Dhamma Vahini. During the Summer of 2009, the Center dedicated a residence facility for the students of vipassana. There are 30 rooms on the ground floor with an attached bathrooms to accomodate 2 person in each room at present.
The Center Today